Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Paleolithic Diet

Look but don't touch
Dennis has embarked on the Paleolithic Diet as recommended by Christina Longo, our personal trainer.  This diets restrict the consumption of sugar, carbohydrates, and legumes, meaning:

  • No carbohydrate except for root vegetables such as potato, yams, and squashes
  • No sugar (e.g. pastry, candy, honey, maple syrup) except for a serving of fruit
  • No legumes (beans of any kind)
  • No dairy, because lactose is a form of sugar
  • No beer, but a glass of dry wine is okay
Since Dennis is allergic to eggs, which is considered the backbone of this diet, he has to supplement his diet with additional vitamins of Omega-6, Magnesium, and Vitamin D.  I am very skeptical of this diet (and pregnant women should never go on any diet), but coincidentally, my blood sugar is high. In order to prevent developing gestational diabetes, I have put myself on a strict exercise and sugar regiment, so my diet also looks something like the Paleolithic Diet, with the exception of legumes and dairy.  

After two weeks into this diet, I noticed that a lot of my pregnancy related bloating and water retention have gone away, and Dennis has lost a couple of inches from his waist.  However, I am not sure if the weight lost can be contributed to the diet or the fact that he is eating less, because of all the restriction.  We will see.

Anyway, this diet is very difficult (and interesting) to cook for, but it's not that drastic a change from our usual diet. I will add "Paleo" as a search topic for this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment