Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Granville Island – Extra Special Bitter (ESB)


Christine suggests that I be more straightforward in my reviews for drinks, and wants me to speak from the heart and the taste buds.

 This is the best bitter beer I have ever had. I went out and spent $130 on two cases as soon as I was able to get my hands on more. The ESB is similar to IPAs and other hoppy beers in that it really gives you that smooth finish, but it doesn’t sacrifice any of the punch doing so. It’s frankly, the most badass beer I’ve ever had, and it’s a terrible shame that it’s only out for ONE MONTH a year. Ugh, talk about torture!

The guys (and gals) over at the Granville Island Brewery say that Bitters are like the Cabernet Sauvignon of beer. They’re not easy to like, and it may takes years of beer drinking before your palette evolves to the point where you crave that hoppy flavour in beer. Heck, it took me 11 years of (legal) drinking to get to this point. Christine compared it to appreciating the hoppiness in bitters to liking really tannin heavy wines, and that’s probably a pretty fair comparison. But like Christine and her Cabernets.. . I’ve made the step, and I can never look back. I constantly need hops in my beers, and I haven’t stocked anything else in my fridge since this monumental discovery. Don’t get me wrong there will always be room for a light crisp lager on a hot summer day, or a white beer if I’m looking for something citrusy, but over all ... ESB all the way baby.

2 comments:

  1. If you ever have time, hop (haha) down the Portland. The beer tour is awesome there. Especially a special place called. Deschutes...well you'll find it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the 411! I've definitely not had enough exposure to beer tours outside of where I live (British Columbia). If I'm ever down there I'm going for sure.

    ReplyDelete