Sunday, September 19, 2010

Book Review?

101 Things I Learned (TM) in Culinary School

I found a cute little book, 101 Things I Learned in Culinary School by Louis Eguaras and Matthew Frederick (2010), in the UBC bookstore.  It's not a recipe book nor is it particularly helpful for home cooking. However, it is sort of a foodie trivia book and makes a good coffee table book for your guests to flip through while you plate the dinner.  There are also other "The 101 Things I have Learned" books by the same authors for the non-foodie guests.  It makes great dinner conversation too.

BUT I don't know about you, but my place is way too small for a coffee table.  I personally didn't find the book particularly helpful. The book does have pretty entertaining tidbits though, so I am thinking about doing the super unethical thing of blogging about some of its content.  It would look like this:

This is the image from the page 1 book
There are only two ways to cook
Dry cooking uses direct heat - radiation, convection, or oil. Methods include sauteing, panfrying, deep-frying, grilling broiling, roasting, and baking.  It produces browning or searing of the food's outside surface.

Moist cooking uses water, stock, or other liquid (other than oil) as a medium for transferring heat. Methods include blanching, boiling, simmering, poaching, and steaming. THe food are not browned and tend to be tender when done. For beset heat transfer, the cooking vessel should be large enough for the food to be completely surrounded by the liquid or steam.

Dry and moist methods can be combined. In braising and stewing, a tougher cut of meat is seared with dry heat and then simmered for several hours in liquid to tenderize.  (1)

You see, most people already know how to boil, bake, or panfry food. This first page simply gives the readers the terminology for these activities.  It goes on and on like that.  You learn the French words for different cutting methods, names of pots and pans, etc. I suppose you might learns a few things to impress your foodie dates or girlfriend... for $18 CND.

It isn't exactly plagiarism if I properly cite my source and recommend people who have coffee tables to purchase the book, right? You have a week to yell at me to cease or desist. Otherwise, I am going to blog about this book once a week.

Work Cited
Eguaras, Louis and Matthew Frederick. 101 Things I Learned in Culinary School. New York: Grand Central Publishing, 2010.

2 comments:

  1. What you are proposing to do is exactly what plagiarism is. It is a deliberate violation of U.S. Copyright law. Try it, and you will be sued.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the feedback! After I read your comment, I asked my fiance, who is a librarian, for some education on citation and referencing. The post has been edited for proper citation and referencing. Thanks again. :)

    ReplyDelete