This is my July entry for Royal Food Joust by the Leftover Queen: Frat-Boy Roast Chicken. Unlike my previous entries, this recipe is a lot more masculine, simple, and full of delicious calories. The chicken is glazed with a homemade Chipotle Honey BBQ Sauce and roasted with a half can of Granville Island Honey Lager stuffed inside. This recipe is pretty much what you would expect a college guy to make on his backyard grill on Sunday and then brag to his friend about it on Monday.
|Hey! Get your mind out of the gutter!|
Think beer stand (and nothing else): when a person is held upside down while chugging a beer. As the beer heats up in the oven or grill, it releases aromatic steam that is soaked up by the chicken. On the outside, the glaze encased and trapped the moistures inside the chicken. The result is a fall-off-the-bone tender and moist chicken with layers of beautiful hickory, sweet, and spicy flavours.
Frat-boy Chicken Series:
FBC: Lemon Pepper and Hefeweizen
FBC: Lemon Grass Chili and Asian Beer
FBC: Chocolate Mole & Irish Cream Ale
Chipotle Honey BBQ Sauce
1 large onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic, coarsely (minced)
2 cups canned tomatoes and juices (puréed)
2 cups beer
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons honey
1/4 cup molasses
2 Tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 Whole chipotle chiles
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed medium sized saucepan.
2. Add the onions and cook until translucent about 5 minutes.
3. Add garlic and cook until translucent for 30 second
4. Add the puréed tomatoes and beer and simmer for 10 minutes.
5. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for an additional 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
6. Transfer the mixture to a food processor and purée until smooth, season with salt and pepper to taste. 7. Pour into a bowl and allow to cool at room temperature. The sauce would be even better if left in the fridge overnight.
|Might as well bake some potato at the same time.|
This should ideally be done on a grill, but I did it in a convection oven. Use less than half of can of beer. The less liquid there is, the faster they will heat up and evaporate. I choose honey lager because it is my favourite, and also having a consistent honey aroma throughout the whole chicken helps to tie all the various flavours together between the beer and the sauce.
1. Pre-heat oven 325F
2. Remove the neck and giblet from the cavity of the chicken
3. With the beer can on a flat surface, grab a chicken leg in each hand and gently "sit" the chicken onto the beer can and allow the can to fit snugly into the cavity.
4. Seal the opening on the top of the chicken using a piece of skin or a piece of potato. Glaze the entire chicken with Chipotle Honey BBQ Sauce.
On Grill: Put the chicken onto the grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its two legs and the can. The chicken should sit straight up. Grill the chicken with the cover for 90 minutes. Glaze the chicken with more sauce every 30 minutes.
In Oven: Put the chicken on the lowest level in the oven and roast for 90 minute or until the internal temperature of the thighs and breasts 160F. Glaze the chicken with more sauce every 30minute.