Sunday, May 9, 2010

What Not to do With: Dish Soap

Jean suggested that I should blog about this. I used a dishwasher for the first time 4 years ago. I loaded it up with dishes and cleaning agents and turned it on. 20 minutes later, my dishwasher started making this loud rumbling noses and then its door flew open. Bubble exploded out of the machine and expended into my entire kitchen towards the apartment door. It was almost cartoon.

Many of my Chinese friends, included my family, do not use dishwasher to wash dishes. Many simply use it as a drying or storage rack. So I learned the hard way that dishwasher requires specified dishwasher detergent and not regular dish soap. Why? Simply, regular dish soap foams up when it is in contact with moving water, while dishwasher soap would not. Soap foam doesn't go down the drain without a fight.

Do Not Use regular dish soap for your dishwasher.

2 comments: