Sunday, May 30, 2010

Dinner Almost Impossible: May

Cheese + Greens + Egg = Cookie Cutter Fish!

Sorry for the lack of  blogging. It has been a tough week and I almost canceled my Dinner Almost Impossible.  Thanks to Dennis, I persevered and pulled off the dinner.  This month's ingredient is Cheese, Greens, and Eggs.  Sound pretty easy right? Dennis is allergic to eggs, and cheese is a problem for our low calorie diets. 

Initially, I wanted to make parsley gnocchi, but I didn't quite like my experimental ones enough.  Then, I wanted spinach ravioli, but that's pretty unoriginal.  Then, I thought about making calzones, which is also not very original.  But what if I marry ravioli and calzone? 

For the rest of the dinner, I decided to keep it very simple.  We had some very unimpressive salmons last months during Dine Out Vancouver event, so I decided to make pan-seared salmon, with only salt and pepper.  Hoping to just bring out the natural flavours of the fish and show the party that salmon doesn't have to be dry. 

The photos turned out a little odd. I think it has to do with the lighting.

This is the appetizer.  The cheese here is Italian imported buffalo mozzarella.  This cheese has relatively show calories and buffalo milk is easy to digest for the human body.  The combination here is very simple: cucumber, tomato, cheese, basil, balsamic vinegar, and olive oil. 


Simple Wild Spring Salmon prepared in the same way I prepare Crispy Fish Filet.  However, I pulled it off the pan to quickly and the skin came out soggy.  I have to remember that I must allow longer cook time, with big patch of fish.

Now for the star of the night:
Aren't they cute?

Cookie Cutter Fish.  They are ravioli size calzones with spinach, skim milk mozzarella, and whole wheat dough.

No comments:

Post a Comment