Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Dine In Challenge Day 1

Monday, the first day of my eat in only challenge, proved to be difficult already.   For morning, I had my famous smoothie: doctor prescribed vitamin supplements + blueberry + almond milk = it tasted like pencil shavings.  Very nasty.  Who needs coffee when you have pencil shaving smoothie in the morning?  Oh and banana.  In a couple hours, I followed it with an apple and a nut mix.

Lunch was chicken stir-fly on brown rice.  It had carrot, zucchini, bell pepper and cashew.  The chicken was marinated over night in soy sauce, rice vinegar, and rice wine.  By using a non-stick pan, I did not have to use any oil to sauté the chicken, and the natural juice and fat from the chicken sautéed the rest of my ingredients.  I learned from Bal Arneson, who taught a class at Dirty Apron, that chicken should be sauté as dry to avoid boiling the chicken in the sauce or its own juice.  Sauce was added at the very end: soy sauce, mirin, oyster sauce, rice wine, home make chicken broth, sesame oil.  Looked and tasted delicious.  This meal needed more fiber, but my fridge is empty.

After gym, I head out to meet Jean for do our "homework" for the chocolate making course.  We have to taste 3 more flights of chocolate (9 different bars). Life is so hard.  9 little bite size chocolate later; we were hungry.  Jean started tempting me to buy some pre-made soup from Whole Food.  They smelled amazing and I was starving.  I bought an apple and wolfed that down.

By the time I got home, Dennis was also starving and a little cranky.  He was not enjoying this Dine In Challenge I volunteered him to participate, at all.  Quickly, I chop up some freshly bought organic tomato and cucumber + salt + pepper + home made herbed olive oil.  Then, I warmed up the left over tomato soup in the fridge for him, before I get down to cooking the actual dinner.  Dinner is steamed trout and kale (separately).  No carbs.  We are trying to lose weight, and it's working.  Trout was already gutted and scaled (poorly) by a woman at Whole Food.  I rubbed salt and white pepper on both in and outside the fish, stuffed it with garlic, ginger, and green onion.  It steamed for about 20 minute, then I added more fresh ginger and green onion on top, and then drizzle a little soy sauce and sesame oil on top.  Then, I heat up grape seed oil in another pan over high heat and throw the rest of the chili and some rock salt in there.  While still smoking hot, I drizzled the oil the top of the fish.

Aluminum foil = no dishes. Yey!

Kale was easier.  Steam + lemon juice + salt = done.  A little over cooked, but still edible.

No comments:

Post a Comment