Thursday, April 15, 2010

Black Pepper Beef Roast


Looking this makes me salivate. I used to roast beef at least once a week, and sometimes I would slice the meat thinly to make sandwiches. This is a round tip roast, one of the cheapest and leanest cut for roast. Having a good butcher is the key to ensure you don't get an overly chewy cut.

The rub is pretty simple: black pepper, minced garlic, and salt in olive oil. The quantity is pretty much personal preference. I usually make a nice thick paste out of this rub and generously cover the roast with it. This is pretty unscientific. Any store-bought rub would be great with a little bit of fresh minced garlic and olive oil. If you are lazy like me, you can also just rub the roast with salt and pepper mix or any store bought rub.

Oven is preheated to 325F. The slower this roast cooks, the more moist and tender the meat. The roast is placed with the fatty side up and bone side down, and baked uncovered. A two pound roast usually takes me 20 minutes to rare which is my preference. Ask the butcher for the exact cooking temp and time for your roast.

No comments:

Post a Comment