Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Crusty Sesame Ahi Tuna

Dennis and I are trying to cut out carbs for dinner. This is incredibly tough, since Dennis and I LOVE sushi and sashimi. This is one of the series of fish related food I have come up with for dinner: More-filling-than-sashimi-riceless-sushi-thing. I use seeds for crust, small seeds, whatever I have around the house. I find that black seeds are the best for color, and I love the flavour. This dish can also be prepared earlier in the day and store in the fridge until dinner.

I would have prefer grilling these tuna. Since I don't have grill, I resort to deep fry them quickly and then thoroughly dry them with paper towel after. I had to prepare 12 portions of these for March's Dinner Almost Impossible. I tried cutting these myself before and they are always look quite ugly, so I contacted Lily at Seven Seas Fish Market on Forth over the phone. She was super helpful and got supplier to cut them into 12 perfect 1½ x 1½ x 3 inch blocks for pick up on Saturday. The dish looked like a fancy restaurant dish and my guests loved it.

This recipe isn't very scientific. The crust ingredient here is only a suggestion and color. Feel free to use any small seeds you have in your kitchen and experiment. Feel free to use fresh or dried onion or garlic. The upside of using all dry ingredients is that you can store it in a jar for future use, but I prefer fresh garlic.

Ingredients (for 2)
3 Tbsp Black Sesame
3 Tbsp White Sesame
2 Tbsp Puppy Seed
2 Tbsp Dry Minced Onion
1 Small Bulb of Garlic (minced)
1 Egg (or in my case, 2 Tbsp egg replacer)
2 Sashimi Grade Ahi Tuna 1½ x 1½ x 3 inch
2 Cup Grape Seed Oil
Fleur de Sel



Instruction:
1. Beat the egg white until it is frothy.
2. Slight dry the minced garlic with a paper towel.
3. Mix garlic, onion, all the sesame in a bowl.
4. Salt the fish with fleur de sel.
5. Then, dip it into the fish in egg white.
6. Then roll it in the sesame mix. Press the fish into the mix slightly.
7. Put the fish on a rack and let it sit for a few minutes. Or you can put it in the fridge if you are making this dish ahead of time.
8. In a small pot, heat grape seed oil to 375˚F. If you are like me and don't have a thermometer for high heat, put a small leaf of rosemary in the oil and see if it fizzles.
9. Fry the fish for no more than a minute. You cannot undercook sashimi grade fish.
10. Place the fish on a rack to rest for a couple minute and pat dry with paper towel.
11. Cut each block into 4 slices.

You can enjoy these the way it is or with some wasabi and soy sauce.

For wine pairing, aim for highly acidic unoaked white wine such as Riesling or New Zealand's Sauvignon Blanc. I would like to experiment with unoaked Barberas for next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment