Saturday, January 30, 2010

Dinner Almost Impossible: Mini Coconutmeg Burger


Craig, Peter, and Helen were invited to my place to be the guinea pigs for my new dish: "Mini Coconutmeg Burger" which will be entered in Royal Foodie Joust contest. The contest is hosted by The Leftover Queen. There are three mandatory ingredients: coconut milk, nutmeg, and fish. I believe it is too late to sign up to vote now, but you can sign up anyway to vote for next month's contest.

This dish took a month to put together. I am sure it would have taken a fraction of the time, if I knew how to bake. For a month, poor Dennis had to eat through some of the best and worst food I had ever prepared. After a month of spitting and scotch mouth wash, I struggled through several new styles of food and cooking. I have fallen in love with baking and working with dough. The contest has challenged me and enriched my life. I will definitely do this again.

As a general rule of thumb, my dishes must be egg and dairy free. I also prefer low calorie cooking, because it is more practical and challenging. I also prefer to make my dishes from scratch.

The burger consist of four separate recipes:
The burger is about 3 inches in diameter. The bun and the fish contain coconut milk and nutmeg. I placed it on a slider plate between bourbon nutmeg seared scallops and a spiced up version of cream cheese salmon lox pairing.

With some adjustment to the ingredients, Coconut Nutmeg Bun can also be eaten on its own as dinner buns. Baharat spice is almost an all-purpose spice and can be used for just about any meat dish. You can use the store bought baharat, but grinding your own spice can be very rewarding. Baharat Panko Crusted Albacore Tuna is eligible contest entry all by itself because it contained all the necessary ingredients. It is delicious and pretty, but what's the challenge in that? I find that pea sprout gives a nice peppery sweet taste to the burger and is much more suitable for the burger than lettuce.

The burger should be paired with your favourite beer. Craig brought over a bottle of 1993 Zilliken Riesling Auslese. It was an AMAZING pairing for the entire plate, match made in heaven. 13 year old wine and so-fresh-it's-raw seafood: Amazing. Absolutely amazing.

Big thanks to Peter who took all these amazing pictures. The below are other dishes I prepared last night:

Saint-Honore Triple Cream Cheese, Salmon Locks, and Capers on Golden Cracker

Bourbon Nutmeg Seared Qualicum Scallops

No comments:

Post a Comment