Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Allan Scott Sauvignon Blanc 2008

I just wrote my intermediate wine exam on Sunday. For the next 6 months, my goal is to understand the more subtle nuances of wines from the same regions but different villages and vintages, in order to prepare for the advance class. But for now, I still have a huge pile of tasting notes, receipts, and restaurant reviews that I need to process first.

$22. New Zealand is famous for their Sauvignon Blanc, which rivals French ones in quality and value. This Sauvignon Blanc comes from vines grown in Marlborough which is well known for producing premium Sauvignon Blanc. I am still trying to get my hands on a bottle of Cloudy Bay. This wine has an intense and crisp fragrance of gooseberry and asparagus (unique to Kiwi blanc). It the glass a swirl, there is also some herbaceous and pungent notes (pungent is a good smell, apparently). On the tongue, it has bracing acidity, medium- intensity, medium- body, savory. I dislike the sour aftertaste in the medium finish, but that is just a personal preference. I know for sure that Dennis would have loved this wine.

The fragrance is more interesting than the taste, but I don't think the average Joe would notice the differences between this wine and a $40 Sancerre. I would gladly buy few more bottle and drink it with the sushi.

No comments:

Post a Comment