Thursday, November 19, 2009

Dinner with Joe and Tracy


Let's start with last night's dinner. Joe and Tracy came over for dinner for the first time. I decided to stay on the safe side and stick with (glorified) steak and potato. That's joe's salad in the picture. I couldn't find my easy-to-plate balsamic sauce bottle and ended up plating using a rosemary balsamic reduction made in Whistler (Thanks Jamie!).

Appetizer:
For Joe: cucumber, red and yellow bell pepper, kalamata olives, red onion, baby spinach (heated in a pan), fleur de sel, fresh herbs
For everyone else: tons of tomato, yellow bell petter, kalamata olives, lettuce, red onions, fleur de sel, fresh herbs

Main course:
Prime Rib Roast: Rare to medium rare. I marinated it overnight in its black peppercorn, olive oil, fleur de sel, garlic rub. It roasted beautifully, and, sadly, probably my best roast so far. Then, the gravy is made with the left over juice and oil from the roast with shallots, red wine, chicken broth (wrong broth). I started to make more mistakes as I drank more wine.
Roasted Potato with rosemary, thyme, lemon juice, fleur de sel, olive oil

Dessert was just assorted fruits with fresh mint leaves.

Wines:
Pinot Gris 2007 WillaKenzie Estate, Willamette Valley Oregon. $39.99USD
I bought this from Tasting Room near Pike Place, Seattle. It was crisp, refreshing, dry, fruity (green apple, light citrus), and medium+ body. It was super easy to drink and would be great to have again in the summer. We finished this bottle before the dinner. 13.8%
Riesling 2006 Donnhoff, Nahe, Germany
I bought it simply because I had never seen such simple labeling for a German bottle. It is Qualitatswein, but this is pretty much all the information on the bottle. Contrasted with the Pinot Gris, it was significantly more sweet, stone fruit, balanced acid, light bodied, and super delicious. We had half a bottle with appetizer and second half with dessert. 10%
Bordeaux 2005 Chateau Plantes des Vignes, France $50CND
This was perfect with the roast. The tannin was soft and ripe and didn't fight with the peppercorn crust. Although I wasn't sober by this point, I could still notice the intense red fruit note, acidity, lightness. The alcohol is 12%, lower than my usual reds.
Cabernet Sauvignon 2004, Yalumba, South Australia
After dinner we played a games. We started drinking the cheaper stuff. This wine baffled me though. It had your typical strong black fruit aroma. It has 13.5% alcohol, but everyone agreed it tasted diluted and boring. I don't recommend.
Chardonnay 2006 Mission Hill Okanagan Valey, BC
Joe and Tracy brought this over as a gift. It was opened after the Aussie cab, and I can't seem to remember how it tasted.

No comments:

Post a Comment